A Brief History
La Immaculada Concepcion School (LICS) is a private educational institution providing non-sectarian education to boys and girls from preschool to Grade 12. The school’s establishment was inspired by the mission and vision of the Department of Education, which aims to equip students with fundamental literacy, numeracy, critical thinking, social skills, and moral, aesthetic, cultural, and spiritual values to become responsible citizens.
LICS maintains a balanced program of activities for its students, which is crucial during their formative years. Here is a brief chronological history of the school’s conception and continued success:
- In 1972, the school was initially conceived by the late Jose Zamora Tatco Sr. and was called Wonderland School. It is located in Baranggay Malinao in Pasig.
- In 1976, Concepcion T. Brown (1945-2009) became the school’s first Director.
- In 1977, the Preschool Course received government recognition.
- From 1978 to 1983, the school started accepting students for the Elementary course, initially Grade One, and gradually expanded to Grade Six.
- In 1980, Wonderland was renamed La Immaculada Concepcion School in honor of the town patroness of Pasig, the Immaculate Conception.
- In 1981, the school transferred to its present location at E. Caruncho Avenue, Baranggay Malinao, Pasig City.
- In 1984, the first batch of Grade Six students graduated.
- From 1984 to 1988, La Immaculada Concepcion School started accepting students for the Secondary Course, First Year High School, and gradually expanded its level to Fourth Year High School.
- In 1986, a fire devastated the school, but reconstruction began rapidly.
- In 1988, the first batch of Fourth Year students graduated, and construction of the Grade School and High School buildings began.
- In 1989, Elementary and Secondary Courses received recognition from the Department of Education, Culture, and Sports.
- From 1989 to the early 1990s, construction began for a new three-story building to accommodate the growing population and provide the students with more support facilities.
- In 1996, one more floor was added to the Grade School building, and additional convertible classrooms/conference rooms were constructed.
- In 2000, LICS Brown Villa was constructed, which houses multiple conference rooms, function rooms, and a half Olympic-sized swimming pool.
- In 2001, the Guidance Building and Payment Area third floor was constructed, adding more classrooms.
- From 2007 to 2008, the First Year building was built near the NKP building.
- In 2009, Mr. Rhomeo Brown, Jr. assumed the position of School Director as a successor to Mrs. Concepcion Brown.
- From 2010 to 2012, the modernization of student service facilities began, with upgrades to sports facilities, computer labs, food, and health services completed.
- In 2012, LICS marked its 40th Foundation Anniversary.
- From 2013 to 2014, major upgrades of classroom design and other school facilities were made to provide students with a better learning environment.
LICS has a strong academic program designed to develop responsible and successful members of society, which is evident from its top-notchers in the Board and Bar exams. Several of them graduated Cum Laude, Magna Cum Laude, and even Summa Cum Laude in their respective universities. LICS student representatives in various academic and sports competitions here and abroad emerged as champions. At the same time, some of them ended as First-Second Runners-Up when they competed against well-known private and public schools.
LICS has a strong commitment to providing a well-rounded education to its students. The school offers a range of extracurricular activities, such as sports, music, and arts, to help develop the student’s talents and interests. In addition, LICS emphasizes community service, encouraging students to participate in various outreach programs.
The school’s faculty members are highly qualified and dedicated to their profession. They undergo regular training and development to ensure quality education for their students. The school also invests in modern educational technology and approaches to enhance the student’s learning experience.
As LICS celebrates its 50th year of providing quality education, it reflects on its accomplishments with pride and gratitude. The school has produced graduates who have significantly contributed to their respective fields and continues to produce students who excel academically and socially.
Moving forward, LICS remains committed to its mission and vision of providing an affordable, world-class education to young Filipino students. The school aims to enhance its facilities and programs to ensure its students are well-equipped to face future challenges.